my Potter & i

"Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand..." jere 18:6

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

grow old with who


On the way to work this morning, I noticed an old lady standing alone on the mrt. When the train was approaching city hall, she started squeezing her way against the crowd toward the other door (that wasn’t opening). Thinking she was going to exit, heading for the wrong one, I was about to tap her shoulder to alert her when I realised she was going toward another aged man, sitting at the other side. She called out across the heads – “next stop, we are getting off at the next stop”.

It’s a small, probably common occurrence, but the incident triggered a string of thoughts. Assuming that man was her husband, I realised the marriage partnership evolves in your winter years to simply companionship.

Unlike the flirty teenage couples, the loveydovey look-into-each-others-eyes bf/gf, the tired out, frazzled mom & dad with kids in toll (all egs of couples ive observed on mrt rides – material for another post if I get to it :)), the elderly couple needn’t sit tog, hold hands, be in constant touch, conversation. Neither are they annoyed or busying with the pram, the crying & trying baby. They are beyond insecurities & affirmation, attraction & flirtation. They are old friends, tried & tested partners that look out for each other, in familiarity, in practicality.

After youth & beauty fades, after the arrival & departure of kids, after the ups & down ins & outs, after the seasons of life have run their course & played their scenes, what you are left with & treasure in your withering years is simple, practical, caring companionship.

I imagine it isn't always exciting living with the same person day in & out. Its one of those things I worry abt marriage - what if you get bored of each other? :S I recently asked my friend if she ever gets bored with her hubby. Im sure you run out of things to say to each other, to talk about... rite? She said sth like Yah but its okay, you sleep, you wake up & you have new things & experiences to share & talk about. Its life. Yah, its life. Mundaneness & monotony are a part of life, just as thrills & excitement are a part of life. So it is the case in marriage.


I’m sure marriage in the later years isnt as sterile as I’ve described. There must be a lot of (preferably spoken) endearment, affection too. Afterall, this is one person who knows you like no other, who has shared & experienced, loves & adores the same people, experiences you do. There’s little need for explanation... you're comfortable in silence, in speech. Years of compromise has trained you to give & take at the right times & places.

Or maybe that’s just what I imagine growing old with someone would be like.

Adam Sandler’s song fluttered to mind

I wanna make you smile whenever you’re sad

Carry you around when your arthritis is bad
All I wanna do is grow old with you

I’ll get your medicine when your tummy aches
Build you a fire if the furnace breaks
Oh it could be so nice, growing old with you

I’ll miss you, kiss you
Give you my coat when you are cold
I’ll need you, feed you
Even let you hold the remote control

So let me do the dishes in our kitchen sink
Put you to bed if you’ve had too much to drink
I could be the (wo)man who grows old with you
I wanna grow old with you

I too want that someone to grow old with. I just don’t know what he looks like yet.

7 Comments:

  • At 12:06 AM, Blogger quop said…

    hmm... the growing old bit reminds me of part of a song that's been in my head for the last two weeks...

    if i grow old, well, i know i'm gonna be
    i'm gonna be the man who's growing old with you


    :)

     
  • At 9:52 AM, Blogger K said…

    Two days ago, I dreamt that I was married. I really enjoyed it until I had to wake up for work. I have been having dreams lately, some of them are work related, some are fantasies, some are just dreams.

    So I guess dreaming is the next best thing when you're alone.

     
  • At 11:53 AM, Blogger pearlywhirls said…

    a friend emailed me re this entry. here's what he shared:

    Well, maybe you should visit Bedok Jetty, East Coast Park early in the morning when dawn is about to break, when the sun's rays are just beginning to burst forth on the rim of the horizon and the cyclepaths and trees are in shadow and silhouette. When the air is still chilly and thousands of comatose souls are dead to the world, snug at home in their warm beds... Surprise! You'll find plenty of old couples walking along the beach promenade or the jetty, hand in hand, looking at each other with lovey dovey eyes after all these years.

    This, to me, is truly romantic, almost magical and it fascinates me every single time I'm there to witness it.


    cant agree more - old couples still affectionate & loving are the sweetest. most most enviable.

     
  • At 1:50 PM, Blogger Ms Carpe Diem said…

    Awwww..... *side hug Pearly* (Will fulfill that in real world later ;) )

    I know, it's so sweet right, when you see two extremely mature people being affectionate, best thing is my hair won't stand the way it does with teenagers/young adults.

    After reading your entry, I was going to make a similar point that Vanessa had already made: No matter whether we are purposed to be with someone, we're going to grow old with God (unless Christ comes first).

     
  • At 2:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's the sweetest thing to catch a glimpse of an elderly couple hand in hand, smiling at each other, not saying a word. Actually come to think of it, this need not apply to the elderly specifically. Even my parents exhibit these qualities. They may not speak to each other for an entire day, and yet the love between them just radiates. =)

    Thanks for the entry dear. Often at our stage of life, we tend to seek someone who's physically attractive..perhaps moreso for the guys ;P, rather than focus on who our "life" partner will be. I guess this is a good lesson for all of us - we should remember all the elderly couples we know and strive to have relationships like they do. =)

     
  • At 4:23 PM, Blogger pearlywhirls said…

    :) thanks girls! agree on all pts! the growing old with God (reminds me of the korean animation depicting a young boy clinging onto the cross through the winds of life, up till his old age) as well as the need to be less superficial :)

    on the former, there is still the Body & friends that we can grow old with... :) no kids, love the ones at children's church. i only fear xmas & new year's alone... but ive had promises to be included if i ever find myself family-less at 40 :)

     
  • At 5:36 PM, Blogger Ms Carpe Diem said…

    Not to mention Valentine's Day. These days can be good fun though with a bit of creativity, that I'm sure we're more than up to. ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home