my Potter & i

"Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand..." jere 18:6

Monday, October 03, 2005

till death


For a twentysomething yr old girl I contemplate death quite a bit. Was just at the cemetery over the weekend… In the day time, its actually a beautiful, sunny, peaceful place. Rather ideal for pondering & journaling if you ask me just that its too far off to be convenient. It’s not hard to be reminded of the certainty of death while amongst the graves. I always wonder about the families of these people buried there. Majority belong to people who died old – black & white photos of granny-like looking women with buns. Do the families still visit? They must be preoccupied with their own lives now. What happens when they are all dead? Who visits these anymore? Eventually no one will. When the children, grandchildren of these people pass away too, these graves will be meaningless and these people will be forgotten. That will happen to most of us, if we haven’t gotten our names in the history books somehow. The brevity of our lives – we are so small, so minute in the big scheme of life & history... mere dust. There’s just no concrete way of immortalising ourselves, all rather futile.

In the distance, piped amazing grace was playing out of a van as mourners walk out toward a burial site. Another ending, another family in grief. Time has a method of layering days & months & years in a way that helps you to remember but not really remember the pain death brings. I just know it is very very acute, like nothing I have felt before. And watching the proceedings, I dread the many times I have to go through it. For as long as Im alive, Ill keep feeling left behind, Ill keep losing people I love.

Which makes the promise of salvation & heaven in Christ such a relief. Knowing that physical death isn’t really the end, that all the wrath stored up for us has been dealt with in Christ and there is only rest, beauty, newness & glory with Him awaiting us. No more tears or death! This knowledge & truth makes all worthwhile, makes life bearable.

Even saying that sounds silly cos life as we know it is hardly that bad. What is a broken heart, a difficult boss or even ministry pains compared to the persecution, martyrdom that fellow saints in other centuries, countries face? We are too comfortable, too sheltered, too unbroken, too untested.

But peace now doesn’t mean peace always. Hurricane Katrina [more recently rewatching Hotel Rwanda - vivid pictures of massacre & civil strife] brought home the message for me that life, human structures, attempts at security aren’t at all reliable, predictable. Only predictably chaotic. First world wonders can turn into third world nightmares overnight. If we were to be struck by some form of disaster here in Singapore &/or believers start getting scarily persecuted for the faith, would we stick by Jesus? Something we should grapple with, prepare for in such good times.

I used to wonder (& still do now) what Id say if someone pointed a gun to my head, demanding I renounce Jesus. Would I wimp out or take the shot? I hope & pray with all my heart I wont do a peter on Christ. Anyhow, dying by the bullet is a lot easier than being gruesomely tortured. Don’t know if I can take the latter...

While we are spared from dramatic persecution of the NT kind now, we should be faithful in gospel work, in the task placed before us at our workplace, at church. Preparing ourselves & others for the end times.

The words of this song rings so true

Whatever happens, we must live worthy lives
And for the gospel, stand firm side by side

By His grace, may we hold fast to the promise, continue to preach Christ till death, till He comes.

9 Comments:

  • At 8:07 PM, Blogger Chris said…

    Yes you do think alot about death for someone so young... your entry does ring true, esp thinking about other saints in hostile environments and what they willingly endure for our faith.

    oh and btw, I do believe that graves don't last for more than a set number (15?) of years nowadays, then they just get exhumed and cremated... how romantic ah the gah-men.

     
  • At 9:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ever tried writing a speech for your own funeral? Or plan how it would go? The Rust did it while doing guard duty.

    First, everyone would sing "Be Thou my Vision". Then, some speech I wrote before I died. Then the distribution of my CDs and other things I wanna give away that people would wanna take. Hmm... maybe it should be an auction for charity.

    Next, instead of people walking around my coffin, I want to be carried round people. Then put me in the fire!

    All this happens with people wearing a party hat, and nobody will be allowed to wear black. I'm going to heaven, why should people be sad?

     
  • At 2:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Very sobering entry indeed, makes us think about our God-given life at a deeper dimension. Here's my take on my thoughts on death~

    Death, indeed is the greatest thief of all
    To mankind, once it laid its final claim, is no more
    Of all that we possessed, acquired & achieved here on earth
    From our short journey since birth
    Crumbles into insignificant dust just as we were.
    The thief of all those relationships we treasure
    So easily death, doth tears us asunder.
    We ask, why is there such a cruel reality as death?
    The Bible says, cos of the innate sinful nature man possess
    That seperated us from God, no less.
    But God so loved the world
    He sent His only Son Jesus to die for our sins on the cross
    And those who came to believe in Him, will be saved & no more lost
    For the Son of God hath conquered death
    Thus we, His children will have eternal rest
    Oh, what a blessed thing
    To know that Death hath finally lost its sting!

     
  • At 9:28 AM, Blogger pearlywhirls said…

    makan - yah i know, think its 20yrs. im indifferent to either just that i think burial is easier for family to take than cremation somehow.

    rust - haha well i have thought of some 'must-sing' songs too & of cos, a goodbye speech to wakeup the idea of my nonC friends. but havent done it yet...

    van - yes such a relief that death has lost its sting for us who are in Christ! still i do get scared sometimes (like this morning) when i spotted a shady looking dude with backpack walking into mrt (like abt every other person rite) & thot to myself "oh oh i might get bombed up today & miss my buble concert next wk" haha.

    my pt is we have to keep renewing our minds w truth to keep us grounded & fearless of death. talk is cheap, ill only really know my heart when the moment comes.

     
  • At 6:04 PM, Blogger K said…

    "I used to wonder (& still do now) what Id say if someone pointed a gun to my head, demanding I renounce Jesus. Would I wimp out or take the shot? I hope & pray with all my heart I wont do a peter on Christ. Anyhow, dying by the bullet is a lot easier than being gruesomely tortured. Don’t know if I can take the latter..."

    I'm sure you (all) remembered the Columbine High School shooting. Well, I attended a talk by the father of the first girl (Rachel Scott) who was shot because she stood up to the 2 shooters to acknowledge that she was a Christian.

    To cut the long story short, her death inspired others to stand up for Christ and to spread the message of His love. Her father, Darrell Scott, started a ministry, nationally, under Rachel's name to reach out to Christians (as well as nonChristians) urging them to start chain reactions in their community (for Christ).

    In his talk, Darrell talked about Rachel and her life and how throughout her life, it seemed like she knew about her death. Not the exact details, but she knew that God was going to use her in a BIG way. She talked about being on TV seen by millions, and some of her drawings showed that she may have known how God will use her. He also talked about how God put people in her life and how her actions towards them started changes that sparked other changes within to communities.

    Anyway, I got both his books "Rachel's Tears" and "Rachel Smiles," cos I thought the little time he had on stage just didn't do him justice. Her (Rachel's) stories are really moving.

    When I went for the talk (which was organized by the Campus Crusade here), I was thinking how I actually partly based by career decision because of what I read about THIS shooting.

    Ironically, while I was training to hurt people, the only news source I had was Time magazine. Time is one of those really good, no BS, in depth magazine that (in my opinion) is unbiased and adds the human aspect to their stories. So week after week, as I stayed lock-up, I saw the horror as well as the good that came out of this shooting through the eyes Time.

    It was stories like hers that inspired me to do what I’m doing now. I think violence will never go away, but we can be proactive and take positive steps to increase the positive influences in the schools. So that kids like Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold don’t have to resort to violence to be (in my opinion) “come to terms with their existence.”

    This is Rachel’s website http://www.racheljoyscott.com She seemed like one of them people that radiates a sphere of “positivity” around her. Check out “Rachel’s Legacy” to see pics, videos, journals entries…

    p.s. While writing this comment, I randomly picked a song to listen and it was “Something Beautiful” by Kyler. How apt. You can listen to her here http://freshtracksmusic.com/recordings.asp?band=Kyler&type=Female%2BRock%2B%252F%2BPop&eid=291

     
  • At 6:06 PM, Blogger K said…

    I just realized. Sorry for the super long posting.

     
  • At 7:17 PM, Blogger pearlywhirls said…

    I think violence will never go away, but we can be proactive and take positive steps to increase the positive influences in the schools. So that kids like Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold don’t have to resort to violence to be (in my opinion) “come to terms with their existence.”

    _______________

    no worries abt the long comment :) appreciate your sharing.

    rachel's life does seem amazing & inspiring - that a girl in her teens wld live so wholeheartedly onto Christ & stand up for His name - we ought to be ashamed.

    having said that, i dont think there is any way we can eradicate violence (either in or outside schools) completely. this may be a dismal attitude but i believe what the Bible says we are to expect -

    Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child. Children will rebel against their parents and have them put to death. All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved. (Mark 13:12-13)

    At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved. (Matt 24:10-13)

    guess my point is this - we can do our best to try to better our society, set people on the right paths. but big picture, the world is & will be getting worse. in the light of judgement that is to come, ntg is more crucial or consequential than showing them the 2 ways to live & the choice they have to make.

    "positive influences" shd hence involve/mean gospel-centred work. getting them to adhere to a morally acceptable std of living (converting would-be murderers to not) is a start but it shdnt be the only goal. ultimately, Jesus is the only answer to our human depravity & sinfulness. He is the only lasting solution to our wretched selves.

    not disagreeing w you Kelv, just adding a dimension that i feel strongly abt :)

     
  • At 10:09 AM, Blogger paddychicken said…

    I sometimes wonder what kind of eulogies I would recieve, or who would even bother to come. It's kind of like the living funeral in Tuesdays with Morrie.

    I also wonder how much suffering I could take for Christ - or even for friends. But I think the human spirit is much stronger than we think it is. Anyone who has been through Army hell would know that. And anticipation is always the hardest part.

    And where's your mmbop-inspired entry?

     
  • At 10:59 AM, Blogger pearlywhirls said…

    if im still alive, mobile & in the same country, ill attend your funeral paddy. there wld be many great eulogies im sure :)

    anticipation is hardest - so true! for many issues too, not just death/suffering. even in life, waiting, anticipating takes up half of our energies :)

    entry is up lar. fwah you gotta be my most demanding reader man!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home