my Potter & i

"Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand..." jere 18:6

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

blogging my musings

The topic of blogging came up sat night. A friend had just found out I blog and being a non-blogger, he asked the natural questions: Why do you blog? Do you have an exhibitionist streak? What do you blog abt?

Every blogger gets confronted with these questions. By friends & mostly by oneself. Rereading my first entry, I wonder if its clear the thought process I went through before attempting this, I wonder if any of my initial intentions have changed.

Why blog?

I blog cos its fun to have a place to ponder aloud, to express my inner thoughts, feelings. I like that it’s a extension of who I am – that its a place I can put up pretty things, share songs & experiences that touch me, reveal precious moments of my life. Yes, its an imperfect, incomplete representation but an extension no less.

I blog also with a mind to encourage, to demonstrate realness in my walk with Jesus. To show nonCs & fellow Cs that Christians aren’t perfect, we are human, we have our hang-ups, tangible likes & dislikes. That it’s a struggle but its possible to live in but not be conformed to this world. That we needn’t walk alone, we can journey the straight & narrow together.

I blog to let people who are dear but apart from me know what’s going on. I blog to consolidate lessons im learning, as an archive of the ups & downs of my life.

Are you an exhibitionist?

Am I an exhibitionist? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Its something I fight everytime I blog. I also sometimes fight fears of being judged or belittled – that my sense of humour isn’t that funny or that my excitement about someone or something isn’t all that inciting to others. These days Ive learnt to be bo chap - if you like what you read, great. If you dont, its cool cos Im not here to please anyone :) There is more to a person than whats on his/her blog.

I don’t deny I like it when people like my entries or leave comments. Its part of being valued and being encouraged :) But I remind myself to keep it real – I refrain from blogging some entries when I know my motives aren’t right, self-glorifying or if it is a hypocritical take (many drafts on store!). I firmly believe you can only truly encourage when you are open & real about your own struggles. It’s a tough balance to strike between being real & yet not getting too personal. Tho it might seem otherwise, I do draw boundaries. I don’t blog about everything that I struggle with or encounter. Somethings do remain secret between me & my friends, me & my Potter.

Why don’t you be anonymous?

I think the Shadow has outlined good reasons for remaining so. I would too if not for 2 reasons. Firstly, it didn’t occur to me when I started this just cos I was blur & dumb & didn’t think of it as an option. Secondly, it takes too much thought & effort to keep the anonymity, I don’t think I have the connive in me to sustain it!
____________________
___

As with all amateur bloggers, you grow in the process. So I am growing, sort of like coming to my own. I used to be shy about it, but these days I blog with more confidence. I worry less about what people might think, misconstrue and focus on just being me, putting part of myself, what God is teaching me out there… out here.

Musings aside, my intention remain the same – to be real in my journey with God and in that realness to hopefully encourage you in yours.

So, the invitation’s still open – come walk, run, fly with me… & our Potter! :)

9 Comments:

  • At 9:12 AM, Blogger The Rust said…

    Ha! Blogging about blogging. I've done that a few times. Even Xiaxue just did it.Bottom line is, blogging is personal. I believe as much as the person blogging has a certain responsibility, the person reading should also practice discernment.

     
  • At 10:27 AM, Blogger Ms Carpe Diem said…

    Like your heartfelt sharing. Continue blogging ger, it's a great way for me to know what's happening in your life.

     
  • At 11:52 AM, Blogger K said…

    I'm just gonna Leech-blog...

    Ever wondered why Singapore was named Singapore even though Lions are not found in the topical rainforests like Singapore?

    Did Utama REALLY see a lion? Was he really told that he saw a lion? Or did someone in an armchair decide on that?

    Just thoughts over wings...at Elmo's.

     
  • At 9:51 AM, Blogger paddychicken said…

    I used to think I blogged for all the reasons you highlighted above. But now I realise the fundamental purpose is to procrastinate from work.

     
  • At 2:09 PM, Blogger The Rust said…

    hahahaha!!!

     
  • At 10:25 AM, Blogger neonangel said…

    i like your blog, pearlywhirly, keep it going. think it serves a purpose - providing another tangible jigsaw piece to what an intangible christian mind/life/heart looks like. :)

     
  • At 10:34 AM, Blogger pearlywhirls said…

    thanks everyone for your words of encouragement! ;) may we continue to grow in His likeness & love, blogs or not... :)

     
  • At 6:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Girl ah ... 4 days already, can you hurry up and write something new instead of thinking about blogging. Esp since you somehow disabled your RSS feed, I have to purposely check in here every day ... very tiring leh.

     
  • At 9:34 PM, Blogger pearlywhirls said…

    aiyah disgruntled, this is not blogging on demand ya know ;) anyhow new entry up - hope youre happy now.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home