my Potter & i

"Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand..." jere 18:6

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

inconvenient love

God’s teaching me new lessons on love.

First Chris’ sermon a fortnight ago highlighted how true generosity isn’t that which comes out of abundance, excess. But rather one that gives even in amidst poverty, personal need. Helpful passages that bring home the point about true giving – the poor woman giving what little she had (Mark 12:41-43) and the example of the Macedonian church who gave beyond their ability!

And now, brothers, we want you to know about the grace that God has given the Macedonian churches. Out of the most severe trial, their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity. For I testify that they gave as much as they were able, and even beyond their ability. Entirely on their own, they urgently pleaded with us for the privilege of sharing in this service to the saints. And they did not do as we expected, but they gave themselves first to the Lord and then to us in keeping with God's will. 2 Corin 8:1-5

That struck me hard as I reflected upon my own giving… having been blessed with much, I’m not in the habit of giving, as it were, till it hurts. I give out of convenience, after all that I need & want are accounted for. I give rather selfishly.

Separately, something happened which brought up rather dormant hurts. Somehow the incident made me realise I hadn’t really forgiven the person. Resentful, bitter feelings laid buried beneath – hurt associated with abandonment. Felt she loved only when it was convenient to her, when it was easy. When push came to shove, she didn’t really care & placed her priorities above me. I resented the conditional love.

But God did a homerun with this, full circle. He made me realise last night how I too, have been showing conditional, convenient love to the people around, especially those dearest to me. What a rebuke! Inconvenient love means putting the other persons’ needs first. This is tough. It means I make time for people when they need me most, even when im tired or prefer to be elsewhere. It means I go the distance to encourage, to bring the practical help even when it inconveniences me, not only when im free or in the area. It means i reach out to people that im not naturally inclined to, make the effort to build these rships. It also means im open to giving financially, emotionally where there is need, to the point where it eats into my comfort zone, possibly till it hurts.

He is teaching me that real love is inconvenient, uncomfortable even. It is demanding & totally other people-centred. Its also love demonstrated not for my own pride, glory… but His alone.

im kinda stumped right now - realised ive got miles to go in this area.

What about you? Do you love inconveniently?

Thank you Lord for the hard rebuke, for opening up my eyes to my selfishness. Teach me to love inconveniently. May the people around be patient with me as I change. For Your glory alone, Amen.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:53 PM, Blogger pearlywhirls said…

    yes marxx, youre right convenience need not be absent :) guess the entry unintentionally sounds alittle extreme, almost masochistic!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home