my Potter & i

"Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand..." jere 18:6

Thursday, October 20, 2005

encounter with a good man


this is a true account of a very honest taxi driver that me & ACG encountered a couple of nights ago. here is ACG’s letter of commendation to the taxi company (posted with her permission) – im too lazy to narrate so here it is with most details changed for confidentiality's sake.

Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing to commend Comfort driver Mr Neo, of taxi number SH---- for his honesty, and his exceptional actions tonight in going far beyond the call of duty for me, his grateful passenger.

Earlier this evening, I hailed Mr Neo's taxi from XXX to PS. En route, I picked up my friend at CT. We alighted at PS at around 7.15pm. Unbeknownst to me, I had dropped my handphone in the back of Mr Neo's taxi. Mr Neo evidently discovered the phone, and immediately honked his horn twice and waved with a newspaper to get my attention. However, I misunderstood him to be asking me if the newspaper was mine, and shaked my head, motioning to say that it was not mine. Mr Neo then eventually drove off.

Subsequently, I discovered the loss of my phone. My friend and I immediately used her phone to call my phone. Mr Neo picked up, identified himself, and told me he would find a way to return the phone to me. He explained that he would call me back as he was presently driving. True to his word, he then called another two
times to arrange with me where to meet to pass me his phone. I gave him my address, some distance away at XXX, and told him I would only be home in 40 minutes' time. Mr Neo told me that he would allow me some time to make my way home, and would wait for me outside my house to pass me the phone. Throughout this, he took pains to assure me that my phone was safe, and also gave me his taxi number.


When I came home at 10.30pm, I found Mr Neo waiting patiently outside my house. My father had come out of the house, spoken to Mr Neo and verified that the phone was mine before I got home. However Mr Neo insisted on staying until I returned so he could be sure the phone was safe with its owner. Mr Neo showed no signs of impatience at having been put out of his way, or at having waited for me. He earnestly refused to take any token of appreciation or compensation for his mileage, and insisted that all he wanted to see was the phone being returned to its rightful owner.


This incident has left me very impressed with Mr Neo's honesty. Even more remarkable were is exceptional and tireless efforts over a period of more than three hours to try and return the phone safely to me, despite the considerable inconvenience to himself.

I am writing in some detail to bring this to your attention, in the hopes that Mr Neo may receive the recognition he so richly deserves. Should more details of tonight's incident be required to register formal commendation or reward for Mr Neo, do feel free to contact me at the telephone number below.

These days with much debate on the lack of good service in Singapore, people like Mr Neo prove that service with pride, care and integrity, is very much alive. He is an inspiration to us all.

Yours truly
Ms Delighted-whose-handphone-was-lost-but-now-is-found (aka ACG)

We both think that Mr Neo is a remarkably kind & honest man. He didn’t take any tips nor want recognition for his efforts & time. So sweet right this uncle? Amidst the bad stories of dishonesty & bad service, here is a testimony that is both surprising and heart-warming.

6 Comments:

  • At 1:15 PM, Blogger The Rust said…

    What phone was it? I must say... the letter is well written.

    Oh, and yes. Mr Neo is a good taxi driver.

     
  • At 4:58 PM, Blogger Chris said…

    So our phones can't be with Mr Neo then, that leaves, oh erm, 3,999,997 (that's assuming we didn't take each others phones) possible suspects! And yah man he should be given an award or something!

     
  • At 5:21 PM, Blogger Ms Carpe Diem said…

    Wow, especially impressed by fact that he took the trouble to verify ownership and wait for owner to be back. Considering that his income is dependent on amount of time he spends with his customers, it is very, very, very admirable.

    Wondering if he knows Christ... Would like to know him better in heaven. :)

     
  • At 9:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    twas a normal nokia. no fancy-shmancy features, but still worth a couple of hundred on retail.

    i wonder if Mr Neo knows Christ too. i hope so!

    and just to add to the ooh factor, Mr Neo also travelled from one end of Singapore to the other in having to get to my house - a journey which would have some up to at least 25 bucks on the meter.

     
  • At 12:20 AM, Blogger pearlywhirls said…

    yeseries, mr neo deserves recognition big time!! :)

    and to add to fortunate hp-lost-but-found stories, my (soon-to-be) ex boss left her phone at a dept store toilet today BUT managed to retrieve it hours later from the info counter - is that amazing or what?!

    thats TWO hao kong ming stories in a week ;) heh

     
  • At 10:43 PM, Blogger quop said…

    singapore got so few 好公民 meh? ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home