my Potter & i

"Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand..." jere 18:6

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

reencounters


this is inspired by Ling’s recent entry :)

Hands up – how many of us have had those terribly torturous crushes in sec school, JC that seemed to last for eons? the heart racing, eyes darting, feet jittering (ok I exaggerate) that grips you when the super cute, desirable guy (or girl) walks past / catches your eye / talks to you?

Don’t bluff okay. Surely have – at least ONE?

Haha I had, lets see… at least 2 major crushes in JC? One developed into a really great friendship & case of bad timing. Felt like crazy for him for close to a year & finally got over it. THEN he came around and wanted to take it further. Too late, brother. The other, tackily nicknamed mmmbop (don’t ask why! it was just a popular song then & the first thing we thought of while trying to speak in code during a math lecture) had a hold over me for quite awhile. He was tall, smart, witty, athletic… gathered from others that he was a good christian boy & a fillial son to boot! None of my friends thought he was much of a looker BUT I thought he was super duper cute! The kind that you spot in a crowd in the first wk of school, during orientation? hahahah

Anyhow, we weren’t really good friends (not much contact besides the occasional icq chats!) & pretty much split ways after JC. 4 years on, a mutual friend suggested doing dinner since he was back in town for abit. I thought: okay, ive been working awhile now, been in & out of a long rship, seen the world, grown up. he is still in uni, young chap, inexperienced blahblah. chey, surely i can handle dinner with mr old crush. BRING IT ON!

Armed with new-found confidence, we met. Believe it or not, he managed to bowl me over. ALL OVER AGAIN. argh.

He was still the same – witty, funny, cute, endearing, engaging. We talked about everything from work to missions to singleness. He cracked his usual stupid, corny jokes (did I mentioned I love corny? :)) and my defenses melted like ice through dinner. For a few moments, I felt 17 again. sigh, left dinner conquered & smitten (of cos he had no clue lar, im very good at acting bochap one). Smitten only for the next week or so after lar :) Thankfully he flew off back to studyland & we didn’t meet again for another year.

Anyhow, I insist im over him lar. Its just kinda fun to gush & be smitten once in awhile… makes you feel like a teen again. Hahahah opps there goes my credibility.

Thing is, the forbidden, mysterious, seemingly unobtainable always seem more attractive, desirable. It’s the lie & flaw of our human nature. If im rational about it, I don’t think me & mmmbop are all that compatible. Its funny how some people can just push your buttons in a way that others just can’t. What do you call that? Chemistry? Don’t know man. Anyway, these days I believe less & less in love at first sight/encounter. Think chemistry is abit overrated & is something that can be developed or more accurately, discovered over time as both parties reveal more… you think?

Okay ive shared my embarrassing crush re-encounter. Now share yours! ;)

15 Comments:

  • At 2:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hahahaha....can just imagine you narrating this post with high-speed, excited tones.

    you my dear are hilarious. in a good way.

     
  • At 3:29 PM, Blogger Donovan said…

    What pearlywhirls ask, pearlywhirls gets =)

    Went to JC, first time in a mixed environment since P3 and had something like 5 crushes in 3 months...which was ironic since my previous crush before then happened at age 9 (actually, I lie, I fell hard once at 14 too)

    Interestingly, there are two people in church who I, in my previous life, had once been infatuated with.

    Anyhow, remember these wise words from Jenny Paige herself:

    It's just a little crush (crush)
    Not like I faint every time we touch
    It's just some little thing (crush)
    Not like everything I do depends on you

     
  • At 4:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    pearls! this post cracked me up and brought me back to the bitter-sweet-innocent JC days.

    Thanks for sharing, my crushes aplenty: from the major, does-he-like-me-back-my-heart-very-pain type, to the if-only-i-can-catch-a-glimpse-of-him-in-the-canteen type... *snigger*

    I think these crushes (mostly unrequited) defined and strengthened a lot of r'ships with my girl friends in JC...at the end of the day, nevermind the fella cos I knew that my girl friends were rooting for me - giving me the 411 on the guy and telling me if i should be at the canteen just cos he's there :-)

    oh boy, those were the days, really.

     
  • At 5:24 PM, Blogger Ms Carpe Diem said…

    Pearly, your post came at such a opportunate time. Think I'd messaged you that it'll be over my dead body before I share this area of my life outside of my close circle of friends.

    Found this helpful in deciding on whether we will allow our crushes to 'run away' with our hearts. On the advice of a brother-in-christ, I made a list of 'qualities in a man that God found pleasing', 'qualities in a man that instantly attract me' and 'qualities in a man that I can be a good helper' to (or 'qualities in a woman that I can lead in godliness' for brothers-in-Christ). Oh boy, it WAS illuminating.

     
  • At 6:03 PM, Blogger pearlywhirls said…

    hey all - haha thanks for humouring me with your enthusiastic comments! made me smile & feel less silly for being a gushy lil' girl :) yes the hide-seek thrill of JC crushes are sweet memories now. hard to find pple to swoon abt nowadays eh? ;)

    but hor, you all quite lousy lar - didnt really spill the beans... dont care i want more juicy details when we meet up ok! :)

     
  • At 11:53 PM, Blogger paddychicken said…

    Sadly, I think I'm uncrushable now. With age comes detachment and dispassion. I'm happy for you that your heart can still beat faster.

     
  • At 12:07 AM, Blogger The Rust said…

    I am just amazed at the quick responses this post gets within hours of its publishing.

    Maybe everyone has secret crushes on Pearls but dare not say. haha. I'm not saying I have hor!

     
  • At 11:15 AM, Blogger pearlywhirls said…

    paddy - note i felt the rush with an ex-crush. anyhow dont be jaded... there's hope yet ;) perhaps its time to revisit old loves? they may surprise you like mine did me!

    rust - bulk of commentors were FEMALE! im certain im not crush material for the male ones either. so your hypothesis doesnt hold :) nownow, lets not discourage healthy interaction on the blog!

     
  • At 11:24 AM, Blogger The Rust said…

    I bumped into an ex-crush last week. She's still so damn hot. I was staring at this girl and she stared at me staring at her. Then we realised we knew each other. "Hi! What are you doing here?"... "maybe we could meet up for lunch sometime..."

    My heart raced, my knees gave way... I SMSed a mutual friend to ask... and yes, she's still lesbian. :(

     
  • At 12:07 PM, Blogger carms said…

    HAHAHA... it brings back memories man. all the secret code names were so hilarious. what would i do without you, ting and jas in the same class. heh. the ham, the cheese and mmmbop. and heaps of hilariously funny moments in the canteen. :) i just laugh whenever i think of it. heh.

    funny though, i never had a crush. maybe cos i was in a tragically long relationship? parents were right when they said you shouldn't start too young huh.

     
  • At 12:16 PM, Blogger pearlywhirls said…

    caaarms!! yes! what wld we do without each other. crushes aside, there were horrid math tutorials, weird pple in class & the brown cow to combat! lazing in the canteen, pple watching (& bitching with the bitchest guy we knew!) yummy western food, zhaoing PE, blue slips & ghim moh char kway teow. im feeling super nostalgic now :S

    btw, ive forgotten who were ham & cheese?! i can only vaguely rem ting's crush - mr er-hem quite nerdy but rich kid. hahahaha dont care we must do reunion w jas & ting in nov ok!

     
  • At 6:09 PM, Blogger carms said…

    yeah man. super nostalgic now... don't you know tíng's ham?? the one who ironically can't eat ham?? but yeah she had the rich geeky kid too. and A's public confrontation with the-guy-with-the-"sey" (only in A's eyes) in the canteen. that was funny. haha. ok there's too many codes to keep up here. i think we better talk abt all these when we meet up! or chat! heh. miss you girls! be back in a few weeks.

     
  • At 7:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    this is a very well written, but also hilarious piece! :) really cracks me up..
    agree with you that crush may come but they are just not accurate of the real feeling, love at 1st sight maybe possible, but friendship/relationship built over time to me is more enduring. but it's always a challenge to decide, where to draw the line?

     
  • At 9:59 AM, Blogger pearlywhirls said…

    hey sporemuffin - cldnt agree more that a rship built on good, solid friendship wld have a greater chance of working out than just pure first-sight 'love' (in some cases, lust wld be more accurate).

    im no love guru & im figuring it out along with you - when does friendship devt into more? perhaps with time, prayer & reliance on Him, we can find wise answers to that qn in our own lives :)

     
  • At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hmm... must say I'm like carms. Don't think I've ever had a crush too. So sad. Only ever got into long relationships with the guys I ended up liking. And you would already know the gos abt each of them. :) Now no chance to have crush liao. So sad.Hehe...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home