my Potter & i

"Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand..." jere 18:6

Sunday, October 22, 2006

my heart for siem reap | part I


Its been months since I came around here to say anything. Time as always is a scarce commodity for the busy bee Singaporean that’s me.

But I just got back from a week long trip in Cambodia and the things I saw, experienced need to be documented (so I will remember) and shared (so it may benefit those who haven’t been). Here goes!

BB Learning Centre

The trip was organized by YMCA for a group of volunteers to help teach kids at a Boys’ Brigade Learning Centre located in a Cambodian village called Phroung (?), in Puok district, 45mins from Siem Reap City. This learning centre was set up in June 2006 by BB Singapore and is staffed by two Singaporeans (main teacher, Reuben & administrator, Jason) and a Cambodian (translator, Pich). The volunteers were a mixed bunch of characters, mostly from my company and a handful not. I was a little apprehensive prior to going cos

1) I didn’t know anyone in the team
2) the living conditions would be tougher than usual, very back to basics
3) majority were ladies and I was scared of the potential squabbles (think bitching, hair pulling, nail scratching) and girly whining I might have to face

But God as always, prepared the way and these fears were largely unfounded :)

Mentally prepared for tougher than usual living conditions and physically armed with gear that would help ease me into rural life (sleeping bag, repellent, mobile mattress & a set of saboteur cards – thanks paddychicken!), the experience was more than manageable and I returned unscathed (save for some mossie bites, bruises and an uneven tan) with a different perspective, bunch of great new friends and many valuable lessons.

team shot at angkor wat

In the village, BBLC is the only concrete building with bath/WC amenities (thank God!) and an electricity generator (which was switched on only at certain times, off at night so we wont disturb the villagers). The centre is located 10-15min from the main road by foot. The only path in & out to the main road is a muddy one littered with cow poo, potholes and puddles. Our meals were prepared by a Christian Cambodian lady living at the main road, so twice a day, rain or shine we trudge through the muddy path to/from her house. Meals were simple but rather yummy - a standard fare of rice, a vegetable dish with meat and a vegetable soup. We had our meals seated on the floor, communally. In the beginning, it was uncomfy to have perpetually muddy feet and sian to drench yourself in repellant and bring the poncho/brolly whenever we go out (the weather is rather unpredictable between super sunny and really rainy) but after awhile, we adjusted and it became enjoyable and fun. It helps to be boh chap about how filthy you/the place is… Itchy? scratch lor! Dirty? wash lor! Smelly? walk faster!













me in a lil' red rainy hood


path we take to meals

Working with the kids was really a joyful time. They were eager to learn and extremely adorable. We taught them english (through role play, songs), dance and art. It was heartwarming to see how diligent they were in noting down words we were teaching in their little, scruffy notebooks. Despite the language barrier, we shared a lot of laughter playing games and doing the dance together. Though they had little, they made an effort to show their appreciation to us through self-made cards etc. My favourite boy, Rattana was especially endearing. He brought a picture of his family and himself (one of only two pictures he owned) and wanted to give it to me. I didn’t take it of cos, but took a picture of the photo instead. I miss Rattana.

Living at the centre and observing the villagers around gave me a tiny taste of the Cambodian life. Its cliché but true that basics we take for granted here – sanitation, clean water, electricity, proper roads – are the very things they don’t have. Other signs of poverty were everywhere – everyone from kids to cows were small and scrawny… So many kids looked smaller than their age, like a boy who looked 5yrs old was actually 9! And the kids wore almost the same clothes to the centre daily. The disparity between the poor in a country like Cambodia and the rich (anyone in the developed world) is huge. Seeing what little the Cambodians have made me realize the abundance we are living in. Their ability to live life simply, in contentment should put us all to shame. We need to be less selfish and wiser in choosing the use of our resources. One dollar spent on me, is one dollar less for the poor, for God’s work. More should be channeled to those in need.

a skinny cow & me

It was also at the centre that I learnt more about the history of Cambodia, through Pastor Bangsa’s personal story growing up in war times (he is pastor of the church in the village) and a book titled The Tears of My Soul by Reaksa Himm (everyone shd read it, can borrow from me or get a copy at SKS). The Khmer Rouge era was a horrific time of torture and pain for so many Cambodians. Its easy to be brought to tears when you learn of what they went through. It helped me to realize the importance of political stability, to understand why their state of life is the way it is now and how strong the people in Cambodia are. I also had the chance to meet and share in a prayer time with some Christian Cambodians one evening. It was truly encouraging to see God working in the land in such a real way… to see native Christians meeting, singing and praying together. Though we were singing in different tongues, all of us were united in the same Christ. It made me want to commit to praying more for the people of Cambodia, especially since 96% of the country is Buddhist.

shot with pastor bangsa's family & neighbours

I think the guys at BBLC are doing a great work, teaching the kids and patiently trying to reach them for Christ. I left the centre & village sad. There was not enough time to really know and love them. I will pray for another opportunity to return to serve them again soon.

6 Comments:

  • At 2:34 PM, Blogger K said…

    is there a calling

     
  • At 9:58 PM, Blogger pearlywhirls said…

    a big question cos i dont know what to make of the word 'calling' in general. what i do know is ive got a desire to return to the country to serve again. whether this desire will be sustained, deepened, played out in a longterm or shortterm kinda way, only God will show in time :) meanwhile i wont be impatient, just wait & see.

     
  • At 11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow Pearlyn, I was moved by your blog. What you wrote really put my life in perspective.

    Thanks for an awesome blog.

     
  • At 11:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    thanks for sharing :]

    and good to know that u have the desire :] but u dont have to just wait and see.. i might have some suggestions, ask me next time we meet :]

     
  • At 2:44 PM, Blogger pearlywhirls said…

    hey Nic, really glad you appreciated the entry :) miss talking and sharing with you... seems like ages doesnt it.

    really Sui? cool... lets talk more soon! :)

     
  • At 5:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just see that you have posted my mane in your website. I am Reaksa, the author of "The Tears of My Soul". I have written another book on forgiveness. It will come out next year. It is called "After the Heavy Rain."
    Blessings,
    reaksa

     

Post a Comment

<< Home