my Potter & i

"Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand..." jere 18:6

Saturday, May 27, 2006

ordinary people, ordinary day


I’m in an unusually reclusive mood so instead of heading out for the regular fix of community & fun, I’ve decided to come here and blog abt my day and its thoughts.

Had one of those open and honest conversations with a close brother. He noted my love for plays and commented about how I’m kind of someone experiential. I didn’t really agree cos I don’t think im driven by the need to experience new, notorious things for the sake of checking it off a list. But I thought more and realized this.

The reason I love plays (and songs, poems, words, music) cos they are affecting expressions of emotion, the human condition, love, relationships, life. Issues, struggles, experiences of the monotonous and exciting portrayed in a raw and honest way, through the eyes of unique individuals. I like that we are all the same, yet different. I’m often caught by surprise, find comfort that the thoughts and emotions I have towards the world, people, are shared by others - playwrights, poets, songwriters, musicians. Strangers to me, yet fellows at heart. Feelings and perspectives that I feel in the solitude, aloneness of my soul and mind occur too in unfamiliar persons out there. Sometimes the beauty comes from having the unsaid, unarticulated things made aloud, demonstrated audibly silently in expression. In speaking the unspoken of my heart, the medium allows me a better measure of self-awareness and makes me less alone. It also allows me glimpses into different lives, the diversity of us the created race amazes and stumps me at times. They give me the chance to realize we are distinct, learn to emphathise despite of it.

Well, besides the fact that his comment triggered off this entire (unspoken) spew, i felt really blessed after our conversation today. I’m thankful God provides people I can be open with, that are real back and with whom I know I can confide in and trust for wise, Godly counsel. Think this friendship is set to last a pretty long time :)

Anyway, here’s a quotable quote. Something (as close as I can remember) I read off a t-shirt while milling around junction 8

Stupid words sound better sung

How true! As proof of that, here’s a song I tried out at the shops. Apparently it’s in the running for Grammy’s 2006 Song of the year (er or are the Grammy’s already over?) Ordinary people by John Legend.

Girl im in love with you
This ain't the honeymoon
Past the infatuation phase
Right in the thick of love
At times we get sick of love
It seems like we argue everyday

I know i misbehaved
And you made your mistakes
And we both still got room left to grow
And though love sometimes hurts
I still put you first
And we'll make this thing work
But I think we should take it slow

[Chorus]
We're just ordinary people
We don't know which way to go
Cos we're ordinary people
Maybe we should take it slow
This time we'll take it slow
This time we'll take it slow

This ain't a movie no
No fairy tale conclusion ya'll
It gets more confusing everyday
Sometimes it's heaven sent
Then we head back to hell again
We kiss then we make up on the way

I hang up you call
We rise and we fall
And we feel like just walking away
As our love advances
We take second chances
Though it's not a fantasy
I still want you to stay

Take it slow
Maybe we'll live and learn
Maybe we'll crash and burn
Maybe you'll stay, maybe you'll leave,
Maybe you'll return
Maybe another fight
Maybe we won't survive
But maybe we'll grow
We never know baby you and I

See, it looks so much dumber in typed than in tune. I love it btw…

Also discovered Noon just released another album titled 'My Fairy Tale'. The discography is wonderful with all my personal faves! Songs I’ve liked for a long time but could (still can't!) never find the perfect version of. In fact the very songs I would have on my repertoire if I was like a musician or something. I didn’t buy the cd though the music was lovely cos I really can’t bear her poor enunciation :( A lovely voice but the jap accent really hinder the songs.

Anyhow, the titles that I love from there are

- Here there and everywhere
- Someone to watch over me
- Raindrops keep falling on my head
- Close to you
- Will you still love me tomorrow

Speaking of musicians and covers, an idea occurred to me walking home. I should totally get a talented guitarist friend to humour me in jointly recording my favourite songs. Not for anyone else really, but myself. And maybe special people I mean the songs for. Hmm…

Not typical of me to ramble on meaninglessly, inconclusively. But well, its not a typical me tonight :) Thanks for sticking around... well at least I’m done now. laters!

7 Comments:

  • At 4:20 AM, Blogger K said…

    what is Noon?

     
  • At 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So.. this is what you were doing instead.. good.:D

    Noon?? i thought it was some UK Band.. but apparently it seems like a jap jazz singer??

    Anyway.. you mean you wanna sing your favourite songs and record that??

     
  • At 11:37 PM, Blogger pearlywhirls said…

    heys

    yah Noon is a jap jazz singer.

    yah i wanna sing my fave songs & record it. actually either of you cld play for me ;)

     
  • At 5:42 AM, Blogger K said…

    I'm not a big fan of japanese singers singing in their nonnative tongue. It just sounds so organ-grinding. Like Emi Fujita... Camomile X3, not my cup of tea.

    I've been wondering for a couple of years now: if music is a language, is it possible that musicians play with different accents and slangs? Like other languages. For example, we know that there are many different types of blues (delta, chicago, bluegrass?), but would a musician from China play it differrently than a "Native" blues player? Can we tell like we can with spoken language?

    Anyway, Good Luck.

     
  • At 4:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I vote for kelv..hahaha.. arrow..arrow..

    kelv.. you forgot cibo matto..:D

     
  • At 2:27 PM, Blogger K said…

    Who is Kor?

     
  • At 2:43 AM, Blogger K said…

    Hey Pear,

    Check out pandora.com
    also check out artist like Lisbeth Scott and Lily Holbrook

     

Post a Comment

<< Home