my Potter & i

"Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand..." jere 18:6

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

pong pong hu

Its CNY & there’s much to be said abt reunion dinners, long car rides across the causeway, sleeping, feasting, reading, pineapple tarts, firecrackers (in msia you get that) & seeing relatives you haven’t seen in a year. But all that pales in comparison to my latest, darkest achievement.

*drumroll* I finally, finally, finally learnt… MAHJONG!!!

Abit of background. Im quite the games freak. I like card games, board games, action games, word games, even & esp dumb group games. The embarrassing part about being a self-professed games freak is this – I hadn’t yet master the fine art of playing the two lauded (what ive been told), smartest games on earth 1) mahjong & 2) poker.

So. Beyond & below the lofty aims I made for the new year (you know like, greater godliness, be more sacrificial, disciplined etc), I also made a secret resolution to master these two amazing games by year-end. At least then, I can finally know what it means to pong! & what that intelligent poker face looks like (on me. hehe).

The main obstacle to that resolution was finding the RIGHT people to teach me – patient, articulate, with a passion for the game. And as luck (gasp!) would have it, I stumbled into the perfect opportunity to learn mahjong last night! Contrary to what you might expect, it had nothing to do with CNY. I didn’t learn it visiting or in my case, vegetating in sleepy msia town with my paternal relations. The chillout company I was in happened to have revived the mahjong craze over the wkend & were itching to play last night. They needed players & I was ms eager-pls-teach-me and so to my delight, I was taught.

My Si Fu was very clear & systematic in laying out the types of cards & the methods of scoring. He taught the proper names (hong zhong, bai ban, ping hu etc) vs English synonyms (eh, paddychicken? Now you know what is a hu!). And I was a very good tu di if i may say so myself – I took meticulous notes ok! After a good introduction to the cards & rules, we started playing…

A couple of pongs & chis later, I managed to hu* THRICE in a row with at least 2-4 tais each!!! I even managed a kang in one round. And a ping hu in another! Call it beginner’s luck but that made me a very happy little disciple. THANK YOU SI FU! Now, im rather hooked on the game and willing to teach the amateur rules of it to any willing learner :) Of cos, deeper skills of strategy & reading others are beyond me at this point. That, you would have to learn from my SI FU (if he wills to take you in) &/or through experience like everyone else. (and no, I cant just give you a photocopy of notes - it's my mi ji).


my first winning combo. think i had a flower/animal accompaniment but they werent in shot. at least 2 tai :) happiness.

For all the hype & mystery that surrounded the game, I must admit now (as a late entrant) that it IS a beautiful game that requires mind & strategy… challenging, very fun & addictive! I can imagine why grannies would like to sit around playing it too. You can actually have decent conversation, catch-up over mahjong. brilliant.

Now. If I can only find an equivalently good poker teacher, my repertoire would be complete & I would then be game extraordinaire with world domination^ at my fingertips… muahahahahahah

Okay. While im at this, HAPPY LUNAR NEW YEAR to all! Hopefully the next entry wld be less floozy :P
_____________________________


Footnotes

*For the uninitiated, hu = win. Tai determines the power of 2 you win at. 2 tais = 22 = 4 points, 4 tais = 24 = 16 points. Therefore, the more tais you win with, the better.

^I’m only kidding about world domination. Really, I am.

13 Comments:

  • At 3:11 PM, Blogger paddychicken said…

    "I hadn’t yet master the fine art of playing the two lauded (what ive been told), smartest games on earth 1) mahjong & 2) poker."

    So I guess you're already done with Chess, Go and Contract Bridge?

     
  • At 3:40 PM, Blogger pearlywhirls said…

    chess - check
    go - nope
    contract bridge - wip

    so maybe i wont be game extraordinare overnight & world domination might take longer to come to pass (crap!). BUT im making progress alright. i just have to lengthen the list... just you wait! :P

     
  • At 5:00 PM, Blogger quop said…

    i've never seen/heard of anyone getting so excited over learning mahjong! lol... as for taking meticulous notes??? that's hardcore man ;)

    it's interesting to learn strategy though - i have very little of that myself, and am now (temporarily) inspired to read up on how to think mahjong :)

     
  • At 9:45 AM, Blogger pearlywhirls said…

    quop - haha hope you can tell i was being overly dramatic for effect :)

    but the notes bit was real. i absorb better when i write lar... ;)

     
  • At 10:05 PM, Blogger island said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 10:06 PM, Blogger island said…

    congrats for passing module MJ101. Now its time to go onto MJ102! ;)

     
  • At 2:57 AM, Blogger Donovan said…

    ""I hadn’t yet master the fine art of playing the two lauded (what ive been told), smartest games on earth 1) mahjong & 2) poker.""

    "So I guess you're already done with Chess, Go and Contract Bridge?"

    What rubbish, everyone knows that you need to master this before you can be considered a true gamer

     
  • At 8:44 AM, Blogger K said…

    I used to play RPS in a league on my primary school bus.

     
  • At 10:30 AM, Blogger pearlywhirls said…

    island - haha thanks for the support! you wanna teach me MJ102?

    shing - tell me abt it. we better get a coupla games tog before you fly back! dont waste time, how abt TONITE? ;)

    don & kelv - but i mastered RPS ages ago. actually beyond RPS, in the primary school league i also made good in ji gu pa, five stones, hopscotch & zero point (i skipped the eraser sparring & slingshot ones cos those were too boyish for mini me).

    this is kinda inspiring a new idea for another entry - pre-adolescent games! hyak hyak

     
  • At 12:46 PM, Blogger island said…

    MJ102? Hee I'm not sure if I'm qualified to teach :P But I know I can play lah... one good way to learn and improve is to play the computer version ;)

    Hey, if you gals playing, one 'leg' is available right here ;)

     
  • At 4:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yay! I'm so glad you've finally learnt to play mahjong. Now we can play when you come down to sydney..it's serious over here in our household. :P

    And when you learn poker... we can play that too! Definitely the two great games around! :):)

     
  • At 3:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    horhor....EL challenge you to play mahjong already....dumdumDUMMMM!!!

    Confucius say: Beware skinny small-nostril girl who play mahjong with poker face!

    Don- is that RPS league thing for real? LOVE the logo on the site :)

     
  • At 12:55 AM, Blogger pearlywhirls said…

    hahaha yes tell me abt it meefed - im sure im in for real battle with mrs im-mahjong-poker-king ting eeling hahaha. i better bi kong xiu lian before i take her on ;) *whispers* bet she doesnt know what that means

     

Post a Comment

<< Home