my Potter & i

"Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand..." jere 18:6

Thursday, January 12, 2006

super single slurpy


Im having a super duper hyper so-happy-im-single week. Quite a phenomenon :)

Seated in the back staring out through the misty window that late rainy night, it was perfect for melancholy. Instead, I felt blissful. Having had a blast chillin’ & playing a myriad of dumb games till 3, I was extremely tired but extremely happy.

On the cruise home, amidst the boyish banter in front (about engines & other boring stuff) it struck me from out of nowhere: I was really grateful & happy being single.

Somehow my mind started flooding with many wonderful things I love & enjoy about singleness, my heart brimmed with thankfulness & you wouldn't believe the silly grin I had on my face.

Well fact is, some days (think the letters P, M & S), I absolutely, utterly, want-out-of-this-now HATE singleness. Other days, God allows me to see the good & cherishable things about singleness & I'm calm, accepting. Most days, I'm kind of neutral about it - learning to cope with it, be content in it, but never deeply loving it.

God knows how much I want to live to the hilt every moment I believe is His will. I don't want to just get by. I don't want to keep peeping around the bend for what is to come and miss the here & now that God has placed me in. But wanting & actually experiencing the joy, contentment are two separate things. That's why I was pleasantly surprised that night when God revealed at the most unexpected time... opened me up to the joys of my single state.

And this happy bunny euphoria has lasted through a couple of extremely soppy movies, juicy love accounts & late nights with no dinner dates, noless. awesome, ain't it?

Don’t get me wrong. I haven't morphed into an anti-men, anti-marriage, pro-independence, male-paranoid feminist. Haha far from it. I still want the whole godly bf, nice wedding, loving marriage & sweetload of kids thing. I'm just beginning to learn to not let that desire get in the way of living joyfully now.

But cos (wo)men are forgetful beings, I'm going to list here the things I love about singleness so I can remember them on the ihatethis days! :)

Reasons im thankful im single!

- I can play stupid games with bunch of wacky, lovely people till 3 (& sleep in till 12pm the next day), go home slightly wet, tired, happy & have comfort knowing I can just crash & not worry about the baby, laundry or other marital obligations :P


- I can, through late night chats, games, parties, dinner dates & engaging email exchanges experience the joy, friendship of different girls & guys I would not otherwise meet or know as deeply. I really love laughing till my sides ache & eyes tear with these people!


- I can be spontaneous & say yes to a friend in need or jump up to join a party more readily


- I'm more adventurous & try out things I wouldn't have the time or motivation to try otherwise

- I travel more with different people & experience different personalities

- I learn to rely on God for my sense of worth, not someone's opinion/affections

- I can state factually who I think the cutest guy at church is without feeling bad for making my bf insecure/look lousy. (Btw, cute doesn’t mean I want him!)

- I don’t have to consider, align with any one particular person (but God) re ministry priorities, burdens. There’s a need, I’m available, I can just go off & do it.

- most of all, this is where God wills me to be so it can only be a good thing. trusting in His character & plan enables me to truly revel in it!

I know there are joys & pains in both states. And when & if the time comes, God will prepare me to fully embrace the trials, monotony & JOYS! of married life. For now, its sweetness to truly appreciate this good gift that God has blessed me with. Im gonna lap it up like a super slurpy... ;)


Now, why don’t YOU share what you love about being single?

11 Comments:

  • At 2:06 AM, Blogger K said…

    Good that you're happy.

     
  • At 9:38 PM, Blogger The Rust said…

    I like being single because I can do stuff without having to consider someone else.

    I like being single because my weaknesses and idiosyncrasies are suffered by no one so precious.

    I like being single because it means less responsibilities.

    I like being single because I don't have to feel bad I didn't meet someone else's need. Especially when I'm down.

    I like being single because that means my heart wouldn't be broken anytime soon.

     
  • At 11:11 PM, Blogger pearlywhirls said…

    nice one, rust - thanks for sharing.

    agree with all save maybe the last... heard one too many stories of singles w broken hearts. think youre luckier than most :P

     
  • At 5:08 PM, Blogger K said…

    Haha.... "heard one too many stories of singles w broken hearts."- really funny ;)

    Anyway,Rust: Sounds like being attached is imprisonment to u.

     
  • At 7:06 PM, Blogger The Rust said…

    dunno... never been. But I'm sure there's lots of niceness that comes with being attached too.

     
  • At 7:08 PM, Blogger The Rust said…

    oh, and it's not like I've not been heartbroken, but I think those who get attached and get heartbroken feel it worse.

     
  • At 8:55 PM, Blogger K said…

    True, especially after all the mental and emotion attachments and investments that are made. But, hey, whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

    Anyway, I caught this movie called "Little Manhattan" on a flight on United Airline, which is a boy an 11 year old boy's view on falling in love and his 2 week romance with another 11 year old girl. His acting and narration were so cute.

    Thought it was a cheezy movie at first but I really liked it after watching more. It's like an updated version of "The Wonder Years".
    Sadly, it is not widely released.

    Here's a link: http://www.littlemanhattan.com/
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0412922/

    and users' comments: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0412922/usercomments

    "falling in love... is so hard on the knees."

     
  • At 10:23 PM, Blogger pearlywhirls said…

    woah. rust & kelv really spillin' the guts eh? hehe :)

    the trailer of Little Manhattan worked on me. i felt goosebumps & awws throughout - die die must watch. im a sucker alrite.

    and that quote abt the knees kelv? love it.

     
  • At 12:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    call me weird.

    i get this super slurpy single (wait, or is it single super splurpy - no, that sounds like a drink from 7-11....) anyway, i get this super single high whenever i hear gilbert o'sullivan's ALONE AGAIN NATURALLY.

    i know the lyrics talks about being heartbroken (dumped at the altar) and all his loved ones leaving him feeling right like a friendless orphan. But for some inexplicable reason, whenever good 'ol gil delivers the title line, i get this wave of peace sweeping over me. One that brings a quiet, calm smile to my face. it's almost the same smile when i'm thankful to God for small mercies.

    these super single smiles don't happen often but i slurp them right up when i do. :)

     
  • At 12:22 AM, Blogger pearlywhirls said…

    haha finally someone caught on to slurpy analogy. yes it was intentional that way

    and you are not weird. but i must say your super single high is quite easily established - just by playing a song! how convenient :)

     
  • At 11:09 PM, Blogger The Rust said…

    Whatever doesn't kill you only postpones the inevitable.

    Alone again naturally is a suicidal sounding song. I think it was used in the Virgin Suicides movie.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home