my Potter & i

"Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand..." jere 18:6

Thursday, December 15, 2005

love you no matter what


drafted 04 dec

i just watched chicken little tonight. the characters were all super duper cute! most parts were silly slapstick funny but there were a couple of awww hes-so-poor-thing moments as well. overall it was a wacky, lighthearted movie with a shallow plot. enjoyable if you just want a no-brainer :I


somehow i have a knack of getting the emo, struck-to-the-heart moment at the most unexpected of times. its the moment where strangely the line of a song, or the words in the dialogue (in or out of its context), or some statement in a casual conversation brings you to a realisation or reminder of sth that strikes you to the core. no one expect the moment in the middle of a silly animation flick or whilst shopping or even clubbing. no one but me!

tonight i got it in the dramatic & stressful scene where chicken little was to ascend dangerously up a steeple against his dad's better judgment & daddy rooster yelled to his son: i love you no matter what!

love you no matter what. a promise i made with someone very impt years ago. i remember the night fairly clearly... we were sitting on the steps of a very makeshift, kampong-like chalet in indonesia, facing the beach under the dark night sky. we were on a mission trip and in the middle of a difficult time in our rship. there was alot of uncertainty but we both knew we wanted to be a huge part of each other's life whether or not we were together. we were best friends and we would love each other no matter what. no matter what the hurt, no matter what we did to each other, no matter who we ended up dating, who we ended up marrying.

i havent heard that phrase for a long time now. when i heard it again today, i wondered if we were silly to have uttered such words... kinda juvenile eh? i wondered how much of that promise is still true for me & him. i wondered if he remembered that night at all & if he still cared. i wondered if i am, if i could still keep my side of the bargain? we may be far from each other's lives but i can still care by praying for him & his, by wanting the best...

ill probably never make the promise to anyone else save the person i marry. it takes alot to make such a statement and alot more to stick to it... in a way, only Someone can make that kind of a promise & keep it perfectly. Someone who has paid the price & done it all. that special Someone... mr JC :)

reminds me of a song by Third Day, unoriginally entitled Love Song... super cool words tho

I've heard it said that a man would climb a mountain
Just to be with the one he loves
How many times has he broken that promise
It has never been done
I've never climbed the highest mountain
But I walked the hill of calvary

Chorus
Just to be with you, I'd do anything
There's no price I would not pay
Just to be with you, I'd give everything
I would give my life away.

I've heard it said that a man would swim the ocean
Just to be with the one he loves
But all of those dreams are an empty emotion
It can never be done
I've never swam the deepest ocean
But I walked upon the raging sea

Bridge
I know that you don't understand
The fullness of My love
How I died upon the cross for your sins
And I know that you don't realize
How much that I gave you
But I promise, I would do it all again

Just to be with you, I've done everything
There's no price I did not pay
Just to be with you, I gave everything
Yes, I gave my life away

abit romanticised lar but kinda makes man's love pale in comparison doesnt it? ;) heh mr JC rocks!!!


10 Comments:

  • At 4:09 AM, Blogger K said…

    Another song with an unorignal title:

    -[ To Be With You ]-

    To be with you
    I would risk a thousand lifetimes
    To be with you
    There's no mountain that I wouldn't climb
    If you're the sky
    Let me be the cloud that runs right through you now
    You don't know just how I need to

    Be with you there can be no substitute
    To be with you
    I've tried to hide my passion but it's
    Just no use
    Piece by piece I lose it when you
    Walk in the room
    How can I get through
    If I can't be with you

    Everytime I close my eyes I see your face
    I taste you on my lips
    Every night I fantisize
    That I can feel you on my
    Fingertips

    To be with you, there's
    nothing that I wouldn't do
    I'm powerless
    Swept under by your sweet caress
    I'm fadin' fast
    One look at you and I forget just who I am
    I come unglued if I can't
    be with you

    Everytime I close my eyes
    I see your face I taste you on my lips
    Every night I fantisize
    That I can feel you on my fingertips
    (This verse once more)

    To be with you
    I would risk a thousand lifetimes
    There's no mountain I wouldn't climb
    To be with you, to be with you
    Everytime I close my eyes
    Everynight I fantisize about you baby
    and you're right here with me
    I would risk a thousand lifetimes.... To be with you.

     
  • At 9:14 AM, Blogger pearlywhirls said…

    kelv - dont know if you realised but the one by third day is supposed to be Christ singing to us. not exactly your usual secular love song...? note calvary & cross references :)

     
  • At 12:54 PM, Blogger K said…

    Yah I know. Just making a reference to unoriginal titles for songs...

    And you got me stuck at "No Matter What."

     
  • At 11:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    pearls, moments like this happens from time to time. But they are just moments.

    Reminds me of a debate I had with a friend. Better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved before. I'm not agreeing with the comment above but it does have some salient points.

     
  • At 2:32 AM, Blogger K said…

    Like I said, I need some time to think about the "No Matter What" part.

    Someone told me once that she doesn't believe in promises because "promises are meant to be broken." I chided her for that... Cited a cliche term doesn't make you smarter or more right (or have the right to piss me off).

    Anyway...

    I think when the chicken daddy (or any carbon-based lifeform for that matter) says "... no matter what," it is to a point that is humanly (or chickenly) possible. There are limitations that are real, but we do not see (or fail to see). We get caught up in the moment or joy, saddness, fear, courage, etc... that we forget that we are, after all, humans.

    I think that what really matters is the heart of the person making the claim. What motivated the claim of "no matter what?" Self-enhancement? Assurance for the other party? Deception? Peace-making? etc? If someone says to you "... no matter what," how would you respond?

    Thank God for a "no matter what" that we can really trust in... even if we don't see it happening in our lifetime.

    Here's something from Mad About You which I think is cute... No Matter What?

    Paul: "I can see staring at this face for another 50 years."
    Jamie: "Really?"
    Paul: "Oh yah, absolutely!"
    Jamie: "Even if I get a double-chin?"
    Paul: "I'll love both of 'em."
    Jamie: "And grey hair ... and wrinkles."
    Paul: "Not a problem!"
    Jamie: "Even if I've false teeth, a moustache, and I drool?"
    Paul: "Why do you have to push? You've always got to push."

     
  • At 2:55 AM, Blogger sheralynt said…

    babe, i've no doubts that you've come a long way from back then -hugs-. I think alot of times, people live in the moment and it's often so easy to say the right things at the right time. But words are just words, and when people envision and proclaim forever or no matter what, we hardly ever realistically think about the mass of possibly horrendous things that could happen. I wonder if the chicken's dad would have loved him if he sold his family off to KFC or something.

     
  • At 10:01 AM, Blogger pearlywhirls said…

    hey guys, thanks for sharing :) i hear all & agree with most. im not blaming anyone for breaking promises (all thats been done & dealt with) and i accepted long ago that people fail people, break vows unintentionally from time to time. was musing out loud re a particular memory that was triggered. its funny tho to hear the psyche students' responses... hee :)

    still, if someone were to say to me "no matter what", ill look him in the eye & say with a smile "you sure? dont make promises you cant keep" - sth along lines of jamie. if he insists, ill accept the sincerity with warmness, but let not my ultimate trust be in him or his promised affections but in God to keep us tog, keep me if it falls apart.

    without God, we are all incapable of no matter whats.

     
  • At 12:37 PM, Blogger Ms Carpe Diem said…

    Possible for me to hear the song one day? Lyrics of "Love Song" by Third Day you put up touched me deeply.

    It's doubly touching knowing that He did this not when we're lovable but when we're a stench/ an abomination to Him. Imagine dying for a colony of cockroaches. Just so that we can be reconciled to God, and He risking everything to lose and nothing to profit from.

    He's truly worthy of having us fully placing our trust in Him isn't it? It's still something I'm (punily) learning to do.

     
  • At 7:53 PM, Blogger K said…

    Hahaha...KFC!

     
  • At 12:56 PM, Blogger pearlywhirls said…

    carpe - the song's sweet aint it? :) afraid i dont have a copy of it myself... will pass to you if i get hold of it. and yes, He is more than worthy. if only we can have utterly unwavering faith...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home