my Potter & i

"Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand..." jere 18:6

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

comic character


as some of you might know, im on a long (dont argue, 2 weeks IS long by my standards) break off work. since ive had much time to waste away the past week, ive been spending some in bed with two cuties namely, Calvin & Hobbes. this strip in particular struck me (click to enlarge)

Released on: Wednesday, Jan 22nd 1986. Images copyright Bill Watterson and Universal Press Syndicate.


it humourously resembled my rship with God. its like me being confronted with situations that im unfamiliar with/scared of

me pouting & going: eww this cant be good. why God?

God in response: take a step forward & embrace it, trust me

stubborn spoilt me scream: i dont want to try, i dont want to love it - take it away!!

God: it's good for you beyond what you know. what you dont naturally love is placed before you cos it builds character.

despite his intended sarcasm, how Calvin ends is true. God our dad is always looking out for us.

this train of thought ties in somewhat with Rev John Ting's message last week abt obedience & God's guidance.

often times we ask God for guidance in areas that we've kinda made up our minds abt and are narrow-mindedly open only to what we ask for/want. like how Rev Ting was when he was 19 praying: dear God, please grant me your will... but please let your will for me be Margaret! we laugh precisely cos we've all been guilty of being that silly.

through the course of the week, im reminded of how all of us have our own desires, dreams. sometimes its hard to figure out why God deals out what He does, esp when its so far from what we want (which may be good things). yet we are called to always trust His character, His goodness, His love for us. to trust that even the yucky circumstances are good & part of the plan. to obey inspite of our own fears & discomforts.

its hard even though time & experience have shown God's faithfulness over & over esp in the major crises of my life. He always held me close, kept me firm, helped me to know joy in the midst of pain. but im forgetful most times and it takes real effort & trust everytime to release my burdens to Him & to learn, re-learn what trusting Him means, feels like. to wait on Him, to be quiet and truly submissive to His ways, plans.

but im thankful for the reminder & im hoping its sufficient preparation for what is to come when the results are out later today. pray with me, wont you? :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home